Jun 15, 2011

Golden old days


I have watched the last movie of Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris, yesterday. I should confess in advance that I am a fan of Woody Allen and as well a Paris Lover!  The movie was well made as usual and I can say that I enjoy it but I have also found it too Hollywoodish.

Midnight in Paris starts with some card-postal picture of Paris with special, non-cliché angels that shows that the director knows Paris very well.  Identical to all Allen’s other movies, it follows by some the relationship stories, Pseudo-intellectual critics, Right-left wing quarrel and so on.  

At the same time, the footprints of Woody Allen were not deniable in the movie, not only on the way that Gil Pender tries to mimetise Woody Allen intonations but also in many details in dialogues.The deep interests of the lenz family to collect the antiques formed a contrast with Gil nostalgia. Honestly it is really an achievement that Woody Allen admit to use professional actors as main character and not himself.  

Some plots were just some un-necessary repetitions about the main idea of the film. They repeated it directly again and again that each generation wants to have a shift to the back.   The Paris 1920’s was well made. The icons of that era were well characterized (or better to say that well caricaturized). The end of the movie was, as usual, so cliché!  In general I suggest the movie as an entertainment and I should mention that I deeply missed Paris, after the movie.


No comments: